I’ve tried to think a lot about what to leave a potential reader with in my last blog post, since these are the ones prospective applicants are most likely to see when landing on the blog. If I were in your shoes, what would I want to know? In fact, what did I want to know? I’m going to bet that by reading through these posts, you’ll hear more than enough about what our daily lives were like.
So instead, I’ll leave you with what I think are some of the best, most immediately useful things I picked up. And now you won’t even have to do TEC to get them.
10 Great Quotes
Because the people I’ve met and read during these past 8 weeks have been a truly extraordinary, ridiculously cool bunch. Cheers to you all, and may we meet again soon!
1. “Arrive early and leave late.” –Jon Callaghan, at the opening of TEC, on how to get the most out of the summer. So true. (And so True!)
2. “Startups only fail when you run out of money or run out of heart.” –Danny Shader, the CEO and founder of Kwedit. Awesome guy, spreads good karma.
3. “For individuals, character is destiny. For organizations, culture is destiny.” –Tony Hsieh, founder of Zappos, on the importance of company culture. This was a quote that made company culture “real” for me in a way I could understand.
4. “Are they builders or extractors?” — Phil Black, on the important question to ask oneself about potential investors.
5. “If you’re not embarrassed when you ship, you’ve waited too long.” –Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn, on getting products out even when they’re not perfect.
6. “Lucky breaks come from preparation and persistence.” –Dave Merrill, founder of Sifteo and maker of Siftables, on the real roots of luck.
7. “Embrace failure. Dream big and go for it.” –Shervin Pishevar, founder of Social Gaming Network, on entrepreneurship.
8. “Ideas are cheap. People are precious.” –Jon Callaghan, on what’s most important in a startup.
9. “Having an impact is the driver. Wherever I am in my life, I want to be doing things that I feel will have the greatest impact.” –Bob Langer, serial entrepreneur, prolific inventor, and head of the largest biomed research lab in the world, on entrepreneurship. This quote in particular resonates with me and my personal reasons for pursuing entrepreneurship.
10. “I’ve never been more curious to see what a group of ‘classmates’ will do next.” — Jacob Hartog, fellow TEC 2010 intern. Couldn’t agree more.
5 Great News Sources
Because I love knowing the latest buzz and have continued to expand my collection of news sources this summer. You all know TechCrunch, Mashable, Wired, Gizmodo, and probably GigaOm if you’ve read through the posts here. Here’s 5 great, slightly lesser-known technology news sources to add to your list.
1. Hacker News – Awesome. Seriously awesome. Although the layout is a little hard to get used to, you can depend on Hacker News (run by Y Combinator) to bring you fresh, wise, and witty news. And you don’t have to be a hacker to read it. Props to Ali for introducing me to it!
2. Hiten Shah – One of Twitter’s best-kept secrets. Actually, maybe not so secret–his 22,055 followers as of this moment probably would disagree. But seriously, Hiten tweets nonstop, and it’s good stuff. Useful tech startup news, interspersed with inspiring quotes.
3. Fred Wilson – He’s a VC, hence the name of his blog. To be more specific, he’s the co-founder of Union Square Ventures, a VC firm based in NYC that invested in Twitter, del.icio.us, Etsy, and Disqus among others. Helpful info for anyone trying to navigate the often opaque VC world.
4. Techmeme – Aggregator of tech news. Sometimes these aggregators just pull a bunch of crap from random blogs and stuff, but Techmeme actually gets great news from pretty reputable sources. That’s notable in and of itself.
5. alarm:clock – Can’t remember how I stumbled across this one, but it’s unique among my news sources. It’s clearly for the venture capital crowd, with news focused on funding, acquisitions, and deals.
What news sources do you check daily? Tell me in the comments; I am always interested in finding new ones!